Here is the latest salad creation that was a both a personal and family hit.
I like cabbage because it adds bulk, flavor and crunch to my lunch. I use shredded cabbage in wraps and it is terrific sauteed. A head of cabbage keeps in the fridge for weeks, unlike lettuce which spoils sooner.
This salad will keep in the fridge for days and the flavors change a bit as it ages, sort of like a fine wine.
- Cut or shred 3-4 cups of red cabbage-place in large bowel.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of pine nuts. Chopped walnuts or sliced almonds would work as well.
- Add 1/3-1/2 cup of dried cranberries or raisins.
- Slice 3-4 fresh Medjool Dates
- Drizzle liberally fresh olive oil over the ingredients (1/4 to 1/3 cup if you must measure).
- Drizzle liberally and to taste balsamic vinegar (1/8 to 1/4 cup if you must measure).
- Grind fresh ground pepper over as seasoning.
- 1-2 teaspoons WicklesTM spicy(red) hoagie relish (this is the magic ingredient).
- Cover bowl with fitted lid or use plastic wrap to top of bowl.
Shake/toss to mix all ingredients.
Enjoy! Let your imagination run with different ingredients to add to your “cabbage base” in future dishes. Consider radishes, cherry tomatoes sectioned/diced or sliced bell pepper, shredded or sliced carrot, cut/diced apple and poppy seed dressing for instance.